Portable and Mobile Radio RFI Solutions
Portable operation is fun but also brings challenges to the radio operator concerning receiver “noise” levels, RF interference from adjacent sources including close by transmitting stations, and RFI from portable generators. A typical scenario and some suggested Palomar product solutions are shown in the picture.
Portable operation is typical of ham radio operating events such as Field Day, Summits on the Air, Route 66 events, National Parks on the Air, California QSO party, DXpeditions, and emergency operation command posts, etc.
Each low power operating station with a generator should have:
- Generator RFI Kit (Part # RFI-GEN) with FSB31-1 ferrite filters at each end + Nylon ties for security
- Transceiver RFI Kit (Part # RFI-XCVR)
- Laptop RFI Kit (Part # RFI-1C)
- Coax Cable Noise Filter (Part # CMNF-1)
- Bullet-55 portable HF end fed antenna system
To address separate solutions we have developed two separate RFI kits: one for HF (1.8-300 MHz) mobile installations and another for VHF/UHF (30-1000 MHz) mobile installations. Each kit uses the appropriate ferrite mix for the frequency range desired.